Friday, May 7, 2010

Here I Go Again (on my own)

It’s time to hit the roads (and rivers, rails and skyways again).  I’ve been doing a lot of traveling lately, but I haven’t been doing a lot of journeying.  I missed it and I was missing part of me.  The last year at work has been difficult.  I’d lost a bit of the spring in my step – not just at my job but in many areas of my life.  I was starting to resign myself to the ordinary.  So it’s time find my verve again.  If I really want to make impact in the world, I have to operate from a place of deep conviction, passion and curiosity.  I know I embody those things when I travel alone.  So I’m off to find new adventures, and the me that I love when I’m experiencing life like this.
I fly to Hong Kong for a few days then to the Philippines for a month.  Afterward – I’m not fully sure.  I have some adventures planned – I will volunteer at an orphanage in the Philippines, do some work with a Cambodian non-profit that uses soccer to teach kids about the dangers of land-mines, and help an adoptee friend try to find his birth mother.  But for a lot of my trip, I’ll be figuring it out on the fly and go where the wind goes.



9 comments:

  1. Great start. And so glad you are wandering again. Equally glad you used the word "verve" in your first post. Looking forward to imagining you crafting your masterpiece blog posts from the comfort of random cafes throughout SE Asia and wondering which 70% is true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you go again on your own. Goin down the only road you've ever known. Like a drifter you were born to walk alone. And you've made up your mind. You aint wastin no more time. Cuz here you go again. (Chocolat Whitesnake)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to hearing all about your adventures, Ed! Safe travels and happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Chris & Edward...thank you for spending yesterday jumping through hoops to ensure that your "technologically challenged" mother was able to participate in this blog before you left on your adventure.

    And off you go to Southeast Asia to find your verve! And I didn't even know it was missing! You've come such a long way from your protected childhood spent on a hill in Hawaii overlooking the back of Diamond Head and Waikiki. And its to Southeast Asia that you go. I will pray that you continue to be protected and enjoy safe travels. I'm looking forward to sharing your experiences and know that they will be terrific ones. Maybe we'll all be inspired to go forth and find our verve too.

    Safe travels my son and go with all of our love. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK! Your Mom just made me cry! Sending protective, adventurous love to surround you on this journey! I know you'll keep us posted & entertained. I'll be sure to log onto gtalk once in a while ... maybe I'll get lucky! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to getting back that spring in your step, verve, passion, conviction, impact. Your words ring so true. Go find it!!!! And I'll be here when you come back so that we can help ourselves stay out of the bounds of ordinary while we're in our every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where are you Ed? More posts please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ed, Cindy is here with me to check in with you. Hope all is well. By the way, your Mom is also here. As you suspect, we are talking about you a lot.....are your ears ringing?.
    Love you, Aunty N.

    ReplyDelete