Sunday, June 6, 2010

Pink Chaos in Iloilo



One night at a bar-
Yes, about 75% of my stories start that way-
My friend Jose met an older gentleman - a very wealthy older gentleman - who extended an open invitation to stay at his house in Iloilo, the capital city of Panay in the Visayas.  I time my trip to meet Jose there.

After a week in Cebu and Leyte (I'll post on those later), I meet up with Jose again.  I take two planes at an exorbitant rate from Tacloban in Leyte to Manila and on to Iloilo.  This is the equivalent of flying from New York to D.C. with a layover in Chicago.

I can't say I'm that fond of Iloilo.  It's like most significant Filipino cities - smaller versions of the Manila congestion.  But we are in the Visayas now and have quick access via car or boat to beautiful beaches, jungles and towns.

We stay at the most curious house I've ever seen.  The fact that it's a pink mansion is just the start.  Remember when as a child you dreamed of finding secret doors revealing hidden chambers stocked with statues, old maps, animal skins and religious artifacts?  We sleep in that day-dream.  It's an inverted reality where at night I dream of California and in the morning I awaken to Alice in Wonderland - a Wonderland that houses a wall of vintage handbags (1950s Luis Vuittons!) and five decades worth of Vogue magazines.

This entry isn't about the story.  It's about the pictures.  Enjoy.


7 comments:

  1. So what does the very wealthy gentleman look like?

    - Melani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you stay with da agi (that's gay in Ilonggo for you) Lopez? That's the owner of the infamous hot Pink House in Iloilo. I hope that you had baye-baye, barquillios, La Paz batchoy, and Guimaras mangga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that is definitely pink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. His name is Emmanuele and there is spaghetti à la Hepburn and terrine de sanglier..

    ReplyDelete